My research is in computational vision, in particular how to integrate mechanisms for visual recognition and perceptual organization. I'm interested in how measuring the predictive power of different visual cues can provide general information-theoretic constraints on human visual processing. I also work on developing tools for biological image and shape analysis in order to measure morphology and spatial patterns of gene expression in developing animals.
recent research highlights:
S. Kong, X. Shen, Z. Lin, R. Mech, C. Fowlkes, "Photo Aesthetics Ranking
Network with Attributes and Content Adaptation",ECCV,
Amsterdam, (Oct. 2016).
G. Ghiasi, C. Fowlkes, "Laplacian Pyramid Reconstruction and Refinement for Semantic Segmentation",
ECCV, Amsterdam, (Oct. 2016).
S. Kong, S. Punyasena, C. Fowlkes, "Spatially Aware Dictionary Learning and Coding for Fossil Pollen Identiifcation",
CVMI Workshop, Los Vegas, NV, (July 2016).
P. Nguyen, G. Rogez, C. Fowlkes, D. Ramanan, "The Open World of Micro-Videos", Technical Report, (March 2016).
A. Cinquin, M. Chiang, A. Paz, S. Hallman, O. Yuan, C. Fowlkes, O.
Cinquin, ``Intermittent stem cell cycling balances self-renewal and senescence
of the C. elegans germ line'',
D. Tcheng, A. Nayak, C. Fowlkes, S. Punyasena,
"Visual recognition software for binary classification and its application to spruce pollen identification",
11(2): e0148879. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0148879.
R. Diaz, M. Lee, J. Schubert, C. Fowlkes,
"Lifting GIS Maps into Strong Geometric Context",
WACV Lake Placid, NY (March 2016).
- M. Chiang, S. Hallman, A. Cinquin, N. Reyes de Mochel, A. Paz, S. Kawauchi, A. Calof, K. Cho, C. Fowlkes, O. Cinquin,
"Analysis of in vivo single cell behavior by high throughput, human-in-the-loop segmentation of three-dimensional images",
BMC Bioinformatics 2015, 16:397 doi:10.1186/s12859-015-0814-7.
J. Yarkony, C. Fowlkes, "Planar Ultrametrics for Image Segmentation",
NIPS, (Dec. 2015).
- J. B. Treweek, K. Chan, N. Flytzanis, B. Yang, B. Deverman, A. Greenbaum, A.
Lignell, C. Xiao, L. Cai, M. Ladinsky, P. Bjorkman, C. Fowlkes, V. Gradinaru
"Whole-Body Tissue Stabilization and Selective Extractions via Tissue-Hydrogel
Hybrids for High Resolution Intact Circuit Mapping and Phenotyping",
Nature Protocols, 10 (11), 1860-1896, (2015)
S. Wang, C. Fowlkes, "Learning Optimal Parameters for Multi-target Tracking",
G. Ghiasi, C. Fowlkes, "Using segmentation to predict the absence of occluded parts",
G. Ghiasi, C. Fowlkes, "Occlusion Coherence: Detecting and Localizing Occluded Faces", Technical Report, (June 2015)
S. Hallman, C. Fowlkes, "Oriented Edge Forests for Boundary Detection",
CVPR, Boston, MA, (June 2015).
more recent pubs here...
cs 117 : project in computer vision [w09,f13,s15]
ics 162 : modeling and world building [f12,s14,f15]
cs 116 : computational photography and vision [w10,w11,w13,w14,w16]
cs 216 : image understanding [f08,f10,f11,f12,s14,w16]
cs 217 : light and geometry in vision [s10,w12,s15]
cs 295 : research topics in vision [s09,w10,w11]
cs 177 : applications of probability in computer science [s08]
past advisees and collaborators
- Sam Hallman (PhD, 2015) now at Amazon
- Michael Chiang (PhD, 2015)
- Hyeoungho Bae (PhD, 2013) now at Microsoft
- Shaofei Wang (MS, 2013)
- Julian Yarkony (PhD,2012) now at Experian Data Lab
- Matthew Nease (BS, 2012) now at Edmunds
- Shu-Chi Hsu (MS, 2012)
- Yihang Bo (visiting PhD, 2010-2011) now at Beijing Film Academy
- Ragib Morshed (MS, 2011) now at Adconion
- Sangeeta Jha (MS, 2010) now at Intel
- Tony Tran (MS, 2009) now at Bizo
- Dennis Park (MS, 2009) now at Vicarious
Prize in 2015 for significant impact in computer vision with our paper:
"A Database of Human Segmented Natural Images and its Application to Evaluating Segmentation Algorithms and Measuring Ecological Statistics", D. Martin, C. Fowlkes, D. Tal, J. Malik. ICCV 2001 [pdf]
- Marr Prize in 2009 for our paper:
"Discriminative models for multi-class object layout", C. Desai, D. Ramanan, C. Fowlkes. ICCV 2009 [pdf]
- Award for Teaching Excellence in Undergarduate Education, UCI ICS, 2014
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2013
My research is currently supported by:
- NSF ( IIS-1618806, IIS-1253538, DBI-1262547 )
- NIH (NIBIB 1R25EB022366)
- NIST CSAFE: Center for Statistics and Applications in Forensic Evidence
- Research Gift from Adobe
service and meetings organized:
- Area chair for CVPR (2010,2012,2016), ICCV (2015), ECCV (2016), ISMB (2016)
- Associate editor for CVIU (2016-), IEEE/ACM TCBB (2015-)
- USA-Sino Summer School in Vision, Learning, Pattern Recognition (VLPR 2012) Fudan Unviersity, Shanghai, China July 2012.
- The Eighth Workshop on Perceptual Organization in Computer Vision (POCV 2012), Providence, RI.
- Southern California Computer Vision Meetup (2009-2012)