ICS accounts are given csh shell by default, but there are other shells available that users may change to. These other shells offer improvements such as tab completion. To change your shell, please go to the below website (if connecting from off-campus, please start up VPN first).
- Go to Password Page and scroll down to the Change Shell section at the bottom of the page.
- Enter in your ICS username/password and select the shell that you want.
- Using PuTTY or other SSH client, login to openlab.ics.uci.edu
- Rename your old shell login file for backup. For example, if you already have .cshrc then do
cp ~/.cshrc ~/.cshrc.old
- Copy over a new copy of the login file for the shell that you've chosen
cp /opt/local/etc/skel/example.cshrc ~/.cshrc
cp /opt/local/etc/skel/example.tcshrc ~/.tcshrc
cp /opt/local/etc/skel/example.bashrc ~/.bashrc
cp /opt/local/etc/skel/example.profile ~/.bash_profile