Online applications for graduate admissions are accepted from September 1st to December 15th. All materials as outlined below should be submitted before the December 15th deadline. (Additional information for those re-applying to the Bren School can be found here.)
You can still apply to ICS if your undergraduate degree is not in the same area as the graduate degree in which you are interested. However, it is helpful if you have taken courses in computer science and math, and/or have some related work experience.
ICS accepts applications for admission beginning in the Fall Quarter only.
» Online Application
Complete the online application. Pay particular attention to the following:
- Enter the appropriate codes for ICS. Note that you must choose either M.S. or Ph.D. as ICS does not have a M.S./Ph.D. program.
- Computer Science, Ph.D.
- Computer Science, M.S.
- Informatics, Ph.D.
- Informatics, M.S.
- Networked Systems, Ph.D. (Computer Science Department)
- Networked Systems, M.S. (Computer Science Department)
- Software Engineering, Ph.D. (Informatics Department)
- Software Engineering, M.S. (Informatics Department)
- Statistics, Ph.D.
- Statistics, M.S.
- Information and Computer Science (Informatics Concentration), M.S.
- Information & Computer Science (Embedded Systems Concentration), M.S.
- Professional Master of Computer Science (Computer Science Department) – Please see website for admissions requirements. Deadline is January 15
- Professional Master of Human-Computer Interaction and Design (Informatics Department) – Please see website for admissions requirements. Deadline is March
- Enter a specific area of interest. More information about research areas can be found here.
- Save your application ID and student ID numbers; they will be asked of you when filling out other documents.
- Applications are processed after the application fee has been received. The application fee cannot be waived.
- You can apply for more than one program simultaneously, but you must fill out a separate application and pay a separate fee for each program.
- If you have questions regarding your electronic application or your payment, contact UCI Graduate Division at (949) 824-4611 or email@example.com.
» GRE and TOEFL Scores
Arrange to have your official test scores sent from the testing agency to UC Irvine. Photocopies or scans will not be accepted.
- The General GRE is required of ALL applicants.
- For official GRE General test scores, use Institutional code: 4859
- There is no minimum GRE score.
- GRE scores are good for five years, after which time the exam must be retaken.
- We cannot accept GMAT scores in lieu of GRE scores.
- The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is required of international applicants.
- For official TOEFL test scores, use Institutional code: 4859
- The minimum TOEFL score is 80. For more information, please see Graduate Division's English Proficiency site.
- UCI will only waive the TOEFL requirement for applicants who have completed ALL requirements for a B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. degree in the U.S. prior to submitting their application.
» Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required, but you may submit as many letters as you wish.
For paper submission
Provide the Letter of Recommendation and Waiver of Access forms to at least three people you have identified who can evaluate your academic and/or professional achievements, describe your strengths and weaknesses and comment on your character, integrity and motivation. Your recommenders should mail his/her letter directly to:
ICS Graduate Office
Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences
352 Information & Computer Science Bldg.
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697-3430
For online submission
Applicants who have completed and submitted their online application should send their recommenders a link to that page, along with their application ID number.
» Personal Statement
The Personal Statement (same as Statement of Purpose) should be submitted via the online application.
» Official Transcripts
Arrange to have one copy of your official transcripts from the colleges you attended sent directly to the ICS Graduate Office.
An official English translation is required from international students.
Photocopies, scans, or unofficial copies of transcripts will not be accepted.
» Checking Your Application Status
Applicants may login to the online GATS TRACKER to check for application materials received and their current application status.
Ph.D. and M.S. admissions decisions are ongoing from approximately March through May. Acceptance and denial letters will be sent electronically.
We cannot provide you with the final decision over the phone.