Welcome to Graduate Admissions for the Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences!
Please see below for information on our application process.
Fill out an online application
- Review of applicants will begin on December 15. We encourage students to submit all application materials by that date to ensure full consideration.
ICS only accepts applications for the Fall Quarter.
On the online application, enter the appropriate codes for ICS:
- Computer Science, M.S.
- Computer Science, Ph.D.
- Information and Computer Science, M.S.
- Information and Computer Science, Ph.D.
- Software Engineering, M.S.
- Software Engineering, Ph.D.
- Networked Systems, M.S.
- Networked Systems, Ph.D.
- Statistics, M.S.
- Statistics, Ph.D.
Choose M.S. or Ph.D. ICS does not have a M.S./Ph.D. program.
- Enter a specific area of interest. For more information about a particular research area, please see the research area page.
- Applications will not be processed until the application fee ($80 for domestic applicants or $100 for foreign applicants) has been received.
- Please remember your application ID and student ID numbers, as they will be asked of you when filling out other documents.
- If you have questions regarding your electronic application or your payment, please contact the UCI Graduate Division, (949) 824-4611 or email@example.com.
- Additional information and requirements for admission can be found on the Graduate Division Admissions page.
Send Personal Statement
Note: Personal Statement (same as Statement of Purpose) should be submitted via the online application.
Send three letters of recommendation
For paper submission, provide Letter of Recommendation and Waiver of Access forms to the three people you have identified who can evaluate your academic and/or professional achievements, describe your strengths and weaknesses and comment on your character, integrity and motivation.
These should be mailed from your recommenders directly to:
ICS Graduate Office
Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences
352 Information & Computer Science Bldg.
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697-3430
Letters of recommendation may also be submitted online.
Applicants who have completed and submitted their online application may send their recommenders a link to this page, along with their application ID number.
Send GRE and TOEFL scores
Arrange to have your official test scores sent from the testing agency to UC Irvine.
- The General GRE is required of ALL applicants. The Computer Science Subject GRE is recommended for applicants who do not have a degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is required of international applicants.
Official GRE General test scores:
Use Institutional code: 4859
Official TOEFL test scores:
Use Institutional code: 4859
- There is no minimum GRE score.
- The minimum TOEFL score is 80. For more information, please see Graduate Division's English Proficiency site.
- Arrange to have one copy of your official transcripts from the colleges you attended sent directly to the ICS Graduate Office at the address above.
- An official English translation is required from international students.
Checking application status
- The ICS Graduate Office cannot inform you of your application status over the phone or by email.
- Applicants may login to the online GATS TRACKER to check for application materials received and their current application status.
- Ph.D. & M.S. admissions decisions are ongoing from approximately March through May.
- Acceptance and denial letters will be sent electronically.