- Check our ISG Group Page for
recent news about our group.
- (1/2016) Teaching CS122B
- (9/2015) Teaching CS222
- (9/2015) We had a great VLDB 2015 conference in Hawaii!
- (1/2015) I came back to UCI after a 1.5-year leave at SRCH2.
- (2/2014) Together
with Prof. Volker
Markl, I will be a Program Co-Chair (PVLDB Editor-in-Chief) for VLDB
2015, which will be in Hawaii :-)
- (7/2013) Starting from July 2013, I am taking a leave of absence from
UCI to work at my startup, SRCH2.
- Archived news
My research interests are in the fields of databases and information
retrieval, including search, data-intensive computing,
data integration and sharing, data warehouses, data cleansing,
and Web information management. The following are several database
projects I am working on.
- ASTERIX: This project is about
Active, Scalable, Transactional Enterprise Repository for Information in XML. It's a new effort to develop a scalable semi-structured information management system, based on XML and XQuery technologies, targeting very large shared-nothing compute clusters.
Released Prototypes and Source Code Packages
Current PhD students
Graduated PhD Students
Shmueli-Scheuer: PhD 2009, first appointment: researcher
at IBM Haifa Research Lab
- Shengyue Ji, PhD
2011, first appointment: Google.
- Rares Vernica: PhD 2011 (co-advised with Professor Michael Carey), first appointment, HP Labs.
- Alex Behm: PhD 2013 (co-advised with Professor Michael Carey), first appointment, Cloudera.
- Sattam Mubark Alsubaiee, PhD 2014 (co-advised with Professor Michael
Carey), first appointment, Research Assistant Professor, KACST, Saudi Arabia
Past MS students, Postdocs, and visitors
- Athena Ahmadi, MS, 2012, Google
- Manik Sikka, MS, 2011
- Sandeep Paul Katumalla, MS
- Nagesh Honnalli, MS, 2010 - 2011, Amazon
- Andrea Zilio, Exchange student from Italy, 2010 - 2011, Google.
- Yabin Zheng,
2009 - 2010, Visiting PhD student from Tsinghua University, China.
- Prof. Heri Ramampiaro,
2009 - 2010, Visiting professor from Norwegian University of Science and
- Vijay Rajakumar, MS 2008-2010. Bimaple
- Minh Doan, MS 2008-2010.
- Jiaheng Lu, Postdoc 2006-2008, first appointment: faculty at Renmin University, China.
- Yiming Lu, MS 2006-2008, first appointment: Microsoft.
- Vassia Pavlaki, PhD student from NTUA, Greece. Visitor, Summer
2005 and April 2006.
- Bin Wang (PhD candidate) and Xiaochun Yang (professor), Northeastern University, China. Visitors, summer 2006, summer 2007.
- Houtan Shirani-Mehr, MS in 2006, became a PhD student at USC.
- Chris Trezzo, Undergrad student (SURF-IT),
- Jia Li, MS in 2005, first appointment: an IT company in the bay
- Liang Jin, MS in 2005, first appointment: Microsoft.
- Qi Zhong, MS in 2005, first appointment: Microsoft.
Grants, fellowships, awards
- 2013, 10-year Best Paper Award for the DASFAA 2003 paper
titled "Efficient Record Linkage in Large Data Sets" by Liang Jin, Chen Li, and Sharad Mehrotra.
- 2012, ACM
SIGMOD 2012 Test-of-Time Award for the SIGMOD 2002 paper titled
"Executing SQL over encrypted data in the database-service-provider
model" by Hakan Hacigumus, Bala Iyer, Chen Li, and Sharad Mehrotra.
- 2012, UCI ICS Dean's Award for Graduate Student Mentoring.
- 2011, I advised a group of students to participate in the
Speller Challenge and won the third place.
- 2010, Intel grant on compression of human genome data.
- NSF research award IIS 1030002 on powerful keyword search in a cloud-computing infrastructure, 2010.
- 2009 UCI ICS Dean's Award for excellence in Mid-Career Research.
- 2009, NSF research
titled "DC: Large: Collaborative Research: ASTERIX: A Highly Scalable
Parallel Platform for Semistructured Data Management and Analysis."
- 2008, Research Funding Award of the
Funds for Oversea Scholars" program of the
Science Foundation of China.
- NSF SGER grant No.
- ICS Ted & Janice Smith Faculty Seed Fund (December 2006).
- Google Research Award (September 2006).
- Microsoft unrestricted research grant (April 2006).
- UCI Faculty Career Development Award (2005).
- Recipient of National Science Foundation CAREER Award
(No. IIS-0238586, 2003 - 2008, single PI).
- Senior investigator of National Science Foundation Award
No. 0331707: RESCUE (2003 -
- Stanford Graduate Fellowship, Stanford University, 1997 - 2001.
- Entrance exams to Tsinghua University waived (undergrad 1989, MS 1994)
- Recent committee services: PVLDB 2011, SIGMOD 2010 (Group Leader), VLDB 2010, ICDE
2010 (also Local Arrangements Chair), PVLDB 2009, PVLDB 2008, ICDE 2009
Demo Track, CIKM 2008, VLDB 2008, WWW 2008, ICDE 2008, KDD 2007,
SIGMOD07, ICDT07, KDD06, CIKM06, CleanDB06 (Workshop cochair), SIGMOD06
Undergraduate Scholarship Program (chair), IQIS06, ICDE06 Committee for
tutorial proposals, VLDB05 (IIS), SIGMOD05 Demo track, PODS05 Proceedings