The Efraim Langsam Family of Lutowska, Poland
|Efraim Langsam (1854 - 1929), son of Pesach, was married twice. His second wife was Chaya Sprecher of Lemberg and based on a 1925 photo they had four children. At first they lived in Lutowska but then moved to a farm. His wife perished in the Holocaust. He had sons, possibly from his first marriage, that settled in the USA before the Holocaust. There is one known surviving picture of Efraim. It is likely that Efraim's first wife was Kriendel/Krancie Scheiner and that he had the first three children listed below with her.
- Binyomin (c1887 - ?) is listed as a boarder with his brother Abraham in the 1915 census. He may be the Benjamin listed in NYC records as having been divorced. No other detail is known.
- Esther (10 May 1889 - 16 Dec 1954) was born to Efraim and Kreindel. Esther arrived in the USA sometime prior to her marriage on 12 Feb 1912 to Max Klein (19 Apr 1888 - 20 July 1942) in NYC. Their marriage record lists Max's parents as Morris & Chaje (nee Rubenfeld). Max's NYC death record lists his parents as Morris & Anna (nee Schoable). Based on a 1910 census entry for Max & Ida Klein, living at 63 Sheriff Street in Manhattan, Max and his sister Frieda married siblings: Esther & Abraham. Esther is listed as a boarder by the Klein's in the 1910 census. The Klein's final resting place is in the Balegroder Cong Society section of Mount Hebron Cemetery in NY.
- Paul (13 Nov 1913 - 7 Jun 1988)
- Carol (26 Mar 1918 - 18 Jul 1990) married Nathan Umen (10 Jun 1916 - 28 Oct 1992). In 1978 they lived in Manalapan, NJ. Carol's final resting place is New Montefiore Cemetery. They had one known child.
- Morris (7 Jan 1923 - 22 Apr 1991)
- Abraham (15 May 1890 - 15 Jun 1953) was born in Zawadka, Galicia (Poland) to Efraim and Kreindel. Abraham arrived in the USA aboard the Saint Paul sailing out of Southhampton on May 27th, 1905. He lists an uncle, M. Goldblatt, at 160 Stanton Street in NYC as his destination. In 1910 he was a boarder with the Turk family in Manhattan. Abraham married in NYC on 01 Jan 1914 to Frieda Klein, daughter of Morris & Ida (nee Schwebel) and together they had 4 known children. They were living in the Bronx in the 1940's and are listed as the destination on Pesach (Leon) Sprecher's arrival in 1950. Abraham's final resting place is in the Balegroder Cong Society section of Mount Hebron Cemetery in NY, together with his wife and sister Esther.
- Caroline/Carrie (24 Jun 1915 - 23 Oct 2002) was married to Morton Zeltzer (1909 - 1906). Her final resting place is in Star of David Memorial Gardens, North Lauderdale, FL.
- Morton/Milton (25 Dec 1921 - 7 Mar 1995) married Mildred Ethridge, daughter of Wilbur H Ethridge & Lillian (nee Wood) on 8 Sep 1944 in New Hanover, North Carolina.
- Sophie (perhaps also known as Sarah) (1914 - 1991) was married to Ludwig (?) Steckel and had one known son. She went from Lodz, to Warsaw, to Tel-Aviv, to Montreal, to Toronto. On Sophie's passport, her surname was recorded as Steckel Karelowitcz. Her grandchildren referred to her as Gaggy Sophie.
- Jack lives in Canada. He was first married to Linda Johnson and they had 3 children. Jack later married Paula Appleby with whom he had 2 more girls.
Jennifer Steckel Elliott, David, Jason, Signey & Genna
- girl lived in Canada and did not marry.
- Pesach פסח משה
(05 Apr 1916 - 28 Sep 1995 [Tishrei 4]) was married to Regina/Rivka Chwerd and had four children. He changed his surname to Sprecher at the conclusion of World War II. Pesach had studied in the Bobowa yeshiva in Myslenice, Poland for a time and also lived in Tyrawa Woloska, Poland. He settled in the United States after the war. He arrived on 27 Nov 1950 aboard the General R M Blatchford sailing from Bremerhaven, Germany, together with his wife and first child.
- Efraim married Shirley Mermelstein and had two known children. After his divorce he married and had another child. Efraim lives in Israel.
Yoni & Toba Markowitz
- Shlomo (Aug 1952 - Mar 2017) שלמה זלמן married Mati Geldwerth and was a doctor. They have four children.
Nechama Sussman, Eli, Uri & Miree Segal
- Mendel married Feigie Lederfine and has nine known children.
Meir, Esti Silverstein, Yitzi, Henny Anemer, Yakov, Sari, Pesach, Rachelli & Yehuda
- Chaya married Eli Brociner and has four known children.
Shlomie, Sara Stern, Chavie Weiser & Shani Glassman
I would be very interested to hear from anyone with knowledge or an interest in the Miller family.
My home address is
1374 East 28th Street
Brooklyn NY 11210-5311
Last updated 07/22/2017