What is VITA program?
- VITA is a free, IRS-sponsored tax preparation service available to qualifying taxpayers.
- Through the IRS's VITA program, taxpayers can take advantage of traditional face-to-face tax preparation with an IRS-certified volunteer or taxpayers can use the facilitated self-assistance (FSA) service where taxpayers prepare and file own tax return with access to an IRS-certified volunteer if taxpayers have questions.
- For both services, the VITA Program generally offers this free tax help to people who make $60,000 or less and need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation and can inform taxpayers about special tax credits for which they may qualify, such as Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit.
- VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, and other convenient locations. Most locations also offer free electronic filing.
- To find a nearby VITA location that offers self-assistance tax preparation or traditional face-to-face tax preparation, go to here.
- For general information about the VITA program, visit here.
- Locally, VITA program is run by with many partners. Please refer to OC United Way page for more details here