I am passionate about creating innovative ideas, translating them into concepts, and executing on them in the context of a project. Currently, I am Research Scientist at Hitachi America, R&D Healthcare Big Data Lab (BDL) focusing on Big Data Analytics in Healthcare. With large amounts of data being generated from all segments of healthcare, from image data coming from MRI machines, to clinical data from Electronic Health Records; all the way to personal health data from wearable devices, I am looking at harnessing all this data to develop advanced analytics technologies to help improve outcomes and reduce costs across the healthcare continuum.
Before BDL, I was Computer Science PhD student at University of California, Irvine and a member of Social Life Networks lab. I developed EventMiner --a comprehensive knowledge-based event mining framework for analyzing heterogeneous big data. In this framework one utilizes different event relationship operators to formulate complex events and compute co-occurrences among them using available data. These co-occurrences are used to formulate potential hypotheses as contextual knowledge, and must then be verified using other set of data. The framework allows ingestion of multiple event streams and can be used for exploring either in data driven mode, for visualizing and finding potential hypotheses, or for formulating a hypothesis by using hypothesis-driven approach to verify or refute it. This framework extends traditional complex event processing significantly by including multiple event streams, point and interval events, event attributes, and novel event mining algorithms. By utilizing EventMiner, a domain expert can iteratively perform event mining, create hypotheses by formulating complex inter-relations among events based on either domain knowledge or event mining results, and verify those hypotheses.
- Susanne Boll, Kiyo Aizawa, Alexia Briasouli, Cathal Gurrin, Laleh Jalali , Jochen Meyer, "Multimedia for Personal Health and Health Care", In Proceedings of the 24th Annual ACM Conference on Multimedia (MM'16), 2016.
- Laleh Jalali , Huyong Oh, Ramin Moazeni, and Ramesh Jain, "Human Behavior Analysis from Smartphone Data Streams", Human Behavior Understanding in ACM Multimedia (MM'16), 2016.
- Siripen Pongpaichet, Mingfan Tang, Laleh Jalali , and Ramesh Jain, "Using Photos as Micro-Reports of Events", In Proceedings of the ACM International Conference in Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR'16), Brave New Ideas, 2016.
- Laleh Jalali , Ramesh Jain, "Bringing Deep Causality to Multimedia Data Streams", In Proceedings of the 23rd Annual ACM Conference on Multimedia (MM'15), Brave New Ideas, 2015. [PDF][long version PDF][BibTeX]
- Huyong Oh, Laleh Jalali , Ramesh Jain, "An Intelligent Notification System Using Context from Real-time Personal Activity Monitoring", In Proceedings of International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME'15), 2015. [PDF][BibTeX]
- Minh-Son Dao, Koji Zettsu, Siripen Pongpaichet, Laleh Jalali , Ramesh Jain, "Exploring Spatio-Temporal-Theme Correlation between Physical and Social Streaming Data for Event Detection and Pattern Interpretation from Heterogeneous Sensors", IEEE International Conference on Big Data, 2015. [PDF]
- Minhson Dao, Siripen Pongpaichet, Laleh Jalali, Kyoungsook Kim, Ramesh Jain, and Koji Zettsu, "A Real-time Complex Event Discovery Platform for Cyber-Physical-Social Systems", International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR'14), 2014. [PDF][BibTeX]
- Ramesh Jain, Laleh Jalali, and Mingming Fan, "From Health-Persona to Societal Health", In Proceedings of the 22nd international conference on World Wide Web (WWW'13), 2013. [PDF][BibTeX]
- Laleh Jalali, and Hossein Ghafarian, "Maintenance of Robot’s Equilibrium in a Noisy Environment with Fuzzy Controller", IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Computing and Intelligent Systems (ICIS'09), 2009.
- Laleh Jalali, Mahdi Nasiri, and Behrooz Minaei, "A Hybrid Feature Selection Method Based on Fuzzy Feature Selection and Consistency Measures", IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Computing and Intelligent Systems (ICIS'09) , 2009.
- Ramesh Jain, Laleh Jalali , "Objective Self", Visions and Views in IEEE MultiMedia, 2014. [PDF][BibTeX]
- Ramesh Jain, Laleh Jalali, Siripen Pongpaichet, and Amarnath Gupta. "Building Social Life Networks", IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin, 2013. [PDF][BibTeX]
- Laleh Jalali , Minh-Son Dao, Ramesh Jain, Koji Zettsu, "Complex Asthma Risk Factor Recognition from Heterogeneous Data Streams", Workshop on Multimedia Services and Technologies for E-health at ICME'15, 2015. [PDF][BibTeX]
- Laleh Jalali , and Ramesh Jain. "Personicle: Personal Chronicle of Life Events", Workshop on Personal Data Analytics in the Internet of Things (PDA@IoT), Hangzhou, China, 2014. [PDF]
- Siripen Pongpaichet, Mingfan Tang, Laleh Jalali , Ramesh Jain. "Observing Real-World Phenomena through EventWeb over Space, Time and Theme", 2nd International Workshop on Building Web Observatories (B-WOW'14), 2014. [PDF]
- Laleh Jalali , and Ramesh Jain. "Building Health Persona from Personal Data Streams." In Proceedings of the 1st ACM Workshop on Personal Data Meets Distributed Multimedia (PDM'13), 2013. [PDF]
- Laleh Jalali , Ramesh Jain, "A Framework for Event Co-occurrence Detection in Event Streams".[PDF]
- Personal EventShop
Guest lecturer for Next Generation Search Systems course at University of California, Irvine, May 2016. [Slides]
- Bringing Deep Causality to Multimedia Data Streams
23rd CM Multimedia conference, Brisbane, Australia , October 2015. [Slides]
- Social Life Networks: Addressing Fundamental Problems
Invited talk at University of Western Sydney, Australia, October 2015. [Slides]
- Event-Driven Causal Analysis in Multimedia Data Streams
Topic Defense, University of California Irvine, July 2015.[Slides]
The 5th International workshop on Cyber-Physical Cloud Computing, Washington, July 2015.
- Combining Heterogeneous Data Streams for Detecting Situations
Web Science and Data Analytics summer school at National University of Singapore (NUS), December 2014.
- Objective Self
Invited talk at National University of Singapore (NUS), October 2014.
Broadening Participation Workshop at UbiComp'14 , Seattle, Washington, September 2014. [Poster]
- Mobile Phone Sensing
Guest lecturer for the mobile development course at California State University Long Beach (CSULB), September 2014. [Slides]
- UCIAsthma product
Butterworth product development competition at University of California, Irvine, May 2014. [Demo]
- Social Life Networks: EventShop and Personal EventShop
The 3rd International workshop on Cyber-Physical Cloud Computing at University of California, Irvine. [Slides]