Office: Room 2064 DBH
Department of Computer Science
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697
I am now a Ph.D. student in Department of Computer Science, University of California, Irvine, working with Prof. Michael J. Carey. Before that, I got a B.Sc. from Nanjing University, China, an M.Phil. from The Chinese University of Hong Kong, and also fulltimely worked in Microsoft SQL Server group .
- 2014/05/09 New Pregelix website is online now! Checkout our juicy perf. numbers!
- 2013/08/13 AsterixDB team are visiting CouchBase for the CouchBase/AsterixDB workshop!
- 2013/06/11 I'm awarded the 2013 Google Fellowship in Structured Data!
- 2013/06/06 AsterixDB 0.8.0 and Pregelix 0.2.6 are released!
- 2013/04/06 We are very excited to release our AsterixDB alpha!
- 2013/03/27 We are happy to announce the second release of Pregelix with quite a few new features!
- 2013/03/26 Our paper on the bloat-aware design for Big Data applications is accetped to SIGPLAN ISMM'13!
- 2013/03/25 I'm selected as a Facebook fellowship finalist.
- 2012/10/28 We are happy to announce the first release of Pregelix -- an open-source Big Graph analytics system!
- 2012/06/26 Start my summer inernship in Google Research, a lot of fun!
- 2012/03/01 Interested in Big Data machine learning? Check out our fresh and exciting technical report!
My primary area of research interest is in large scale data management systems, especially data-intensive computing systems.
- Pregelix. Pregelix is an open-source implementation of Google's Pregel programming model. We architect the Pregel programming model on top of the Hyracks general-purpose data-parallel execution engine. This leads to a much simpler design and implementation than building from scratch. Pregelix also corresponds to the Pregel part of our technical report!
- AsterixDB. We are working towards an open source data-intensive computing platform, with new technologies for ingesting, storing, managing, indexing, querying, analyzing, and subscribing intensive semi-structured data.
- HaLoop. In HaLoop (with Bill, Magda, and Michael), we designed and implemented a modified version of the Hadoop MapReduce framework for efficiently support data-intensive iterative data analysis. A paper describing HaLoop system is in VLDB 2010. HaLoop also got sponsored by Yahoo! KSC Program !
- In the past, I also worked on stream monitoring (a paper in KDD 2009 and a paper in SDM 2007), and data privacy (a paper in VLDB 2008).
Publications (dlbp entry)
(Open-source systems using our design paradigm: AsterixDB, Hyracks, Pregelix )
(selected for Best of VLDB 2010 issue of VLDB Journal )
System Demos and Posters
Honors and Awards
- 2013-2015 Google Fellowship in Structured Data
- 2013-2014 Facebook Fellowship Finalist
- 2010 Yahoo! Key Scientific Challenage Award