Taking Courses Outside of UCI
Continuing Bren School students may petition to take up to four approved, UC-transferable, lower-division courses—excepting writing classes—at a community college or other university.
» Finding Transferable Courses
Consult www.assist.org to find courses that are UC-transferable.
It is extremely important to consult with a Bren School academic counselor prior to taking off-campus courses, and especially if you are near or in your last year prior to graduation.
A counselor will review your list of proposed courses to:
- ensure that they will count towards your general education or major requirements
- ensure that students do not compromise your ability to meet the UCI residence requirement.
» Transferring Credit
Students must submit an official transcript in order to have any course taken outside of UCI applied to their degree audit.
For courses taken at another 2- or 4-year institution, send official transcripts to the Office of Admissions and Relations with Schools.
For courses taken through UCI Extension or Access UCI, send transcripts to the Office of the Registrar.
Note: If you are a graduating senior, it is strongly recommended that you submit your transcripts as soon as grades are posted, and inform the appropriate the appropriate office(s) of that submission.
» Studying Abroad
ICS students are encouraged to study abroad. However, it is critical that students plan ahead well in advance of departure.
Please start learning about the study abroad process at the Study Abroad Center Website
- Frequently asked questions regarding these items can be found there:
Students must first apply to study abroad and be selected by UCEAP/IOP/UC Summer Abroad in order to move forward with an evaluation of transferable classes.
Programs where students have successfully transferred coursework in the past include:
University of Melbourne Australia University of Glasgow Ireland University of Auckland New Zealand University of St. Andrews Scotland National University of Singapore Singapore Kookmin University South Korea Yonsei University South Korea Lund University Sweden University of Edinburgh United Kingdom University of Stirling United Kingdom
Students are recommended to study abroad between their 1st and 3rd year.
- Summer study abroad programs work best for timely academic planning.
To receive credit for coursework taken abroad, please carefully follow the instructions detailed in the ICS Study Abroad Academic Planning Form:
- ICS Study Abroad Academic Planning Form
- Coursework taken abroad will only be formally evaluated for equivalency after students have been selected for a study abroad program.
- Please be aware that this is a multi-step process that will take several weeks.