Undergraduate Student Policies

Taking Courses Outside of UCI 

Continuing Bren School students may take approved, UC-transferable courses (excepting writing classes) at a community college or other university. Please consult with your academic counselor prior to enrollment to verify if it will apply to your degree requirement(s).

Finding Transferrable Courses

Transferring Credit to UCI 

Studying Abroad


» Finding Transferable Courses

Consult www.assist.org to find courses that are UC-transferable from California Community Colleges.

It is extremely important to consult with a Bren School academic counselor prior to taking off-campus courses, and especially if you are near or in your last year prior to graduation.

A counselor will review your list of proposed courses to:

  • ensure that they will count towards your general education or major requirements
  • ensure that students do not compromise your ability to meet the UCI residence requirement.

If you cannot find an approved course articulation on www.assist.org, you are taking a course at a 4 year institution, or taking a course outside of California, you may need to request a syllabus review in order to count the course towards a degree requirement.


» Transferring Credit to UCI

Students must submit an official transcript in order to have any course taken outside of UCI applied to their degree audit. 

For courses taken at another 2- or 4-year institution, send official transcripts to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Fill out the Current Student Update Form with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to avoid any delays with transferring coursework. 

For courses taken through UCI Continuing Education or Concurrent Enrollment, send transcripts to the Office of the Registrar.

Note: If you are a graduating senior, it is strongly recommended that you submit your transcripts as soon as grades are posted, and inform the appropriate office(s) of that submission.



» Studying Abroad

ICS students are encouraged to study abroad. However, it is critical that students plan ahead well in advance of departure.

Please start learning about the study abroad process at the Study Abroad Center Website

Students must first apply to study abroad and be selected by UCEAP/IOP/UC Summer Abroad in order to move forward with an evaluation of transferable classes.

Programs where students have successfully transferred coursework in the past include:

University of Edinburgh United Kingdom - Scotland
Technical University of Berlin Germany
Yonsei University South Korea
Lund University Sweden
Imperial College London United Kingdom - England
King College United Kingdom - England
National University of Singapore Singapore
University of Melbourne Australia
Hong Kong University Hong Kong
University of British Columbia Canada

Students are recommended to study abroad between their 1st and 3rd year.

  • Summer study abroad programs work best for timely academic planning.

To receive credit for coursework taken abroad, please carefully follow the instructions detailed in the ICS Study Abroad Academic Planning Form:

  • ICS Study Abroad Academic Planning Form
    • Coursework taken abroad will only be formally evaluated for equivalency after students have been selected for a study abroad program.
    • Please be aware that this is a multi-step process that will take several weeks.