Opportunities for ICS Students
As members of the UCI community, all ICS students have access to a wide range of campus resources (a partial list of which can be viewed here). In addition to these, there are also opportunities for engagement and enrichment geared specifically towards ICS students.
ICS students are encouraged to complement their academics with extra-curricular activities such as research or joining a student organization. Benefits of this include, but are not limited to: networking with other students, faculty and companies; participating in social activities; forming study groups and friendships; attending various workshops and presentations; gaining deeper experience and knowledge of your chosen field; and more.
» Campus Engagement
» ICS Theme Housing
The Arroyo Vista theme house provides informal, academic and social functions for students interested in the field of information and computer science. The goals of this house are to expose residents to faculty, alumni and businesspersons in the information and computer sciences field.
- visits to corporations
- opportunities to participate in symposiums and workshops centering on academic success
- community and career opportunities
- preparation for graduate/professional schools and learning skills
- social activities
The house is open to all students with an interest in information and computer sciences.
» Honors Opportunities
Students may apply to be in the ICS Honors Program during Spring quarter if they meet certain academic criteria and have the support of faculty. Benefits of being in the ICS Honors Program include networking with other ICS Honors students, conducting research with a faculty mentor, and working on a thesis.
» Research Opportunities
All Bren ICS majors are encouraged to take advantage of this valuable experience. Faculty advertise many research opportunities every year.
- Independent Study: Enroll in an independent study (199 course number) under a faculty advisor unit credit
- Summer Undergraduate Research Internship in Computer Science:This program provides an opportunity for select students to spend 8-10 weeks in the summer working with faculty on a research project.
- UC LEADS: This program offers educationally or economically disadvantaged sophomore students (or juniors planning on staying a complete fifth year) in science, technology, engineering or mathematics programs an opportunity to begin research training at the very beginning of their junior year
- UROP: The Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program encourages and facilitates research and creative activities by undergraduates from all schools and academic disciplines at UCI. Programs include SURP, SURF-IT, MDP, and others.
» ICS Scholarships
To search for some available scholarships, students should visit the resources below.
» Jobs for Students
To search for available technical jobs and internships, students can visit the resources below.
Non-technical internships and opportunities are also available and listed here.