title: Hao Cui @ UCI
Hao Cui (崔灏)
Personal Page: cvhc.cc
Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
I am a Ph.D. student in the Networked Systems program at the University of California, Irvine (UCI). I am a member of the UCI Networking Group and ProperData Center. My advisor is Prof. Athina Markopoulou.
I am doing research in the area of privacy enhancing technologies, with a focus on auditing the privacy policies using natural language processing (NLP) technologies. I also have done research in the areas of multimedia security and machine learning security.
University of California, Irvine (2020-today)
- Ph.D. student in Networked Systems (Expected Graduation: Jul. 2024)
University of Science and Technology of China (2017-2020)
- M.Eng. in Electronics and Communication Engineering (GPA: 3.18/4.30)
University of Science and Technology of China (2013-2017)
- B.Sci. in Geophysics (GPA: 3.47/4.30)
- B.Eng. in Computer Science and Technology (GPA: 3.71/4.30)
- UCI EECS Department Fellowship (Sep. 2020 - Feb. 2021)
- Kaggle Deepfake Detection Challenge, 2nd place (Jun. 2020)
- IJCAI-19 Alibaba Adversarial AI Challenge, 1st place in defense track (Aug. 2019)
- 11th Competition of Physical Research Experiment of USTC, Special Prize (Dec. 2015)
- China National Olympiad in Informatics in Provinces, 1st prize / 4th place in Henan division (Oct. 2010)
Graduate Student Researcher (2020-Today)
@ UCI Networking Group & ProperData Center / Advisor: Prof. Athina Markopoulou
- Conducted measurements of flow-to-policy consistency among apps on Oculus VR handsets.
Machine Learning Engineer Intern (Summer 2021)
@ Syntiant Corp., Irvine, CA / Manager: Dr. Sean McGregor
- Developed tools to measure biases in voice recognition models.
Research Assistant (2017-2020)
@ CAS Key Laboratory of Electromagnetic Space Information, USTC / Advisor: Prof. Weiming Zhang
- Research #1: multimedia security
- Proposed UnseenCode, an invisible on-screen barcode scheme for covert screen-camera communication.
- Developed novel image watermarking methods against screen shooting.
- Research #2: machine learning security
- DeepFake detection: Developed video classifiers to identify deep-learning forged videos.
- Adversarial attack: Proposed an hybrid defense scheme to mitigate the attacks on CNN image clasifiers.
- Worked part-time as the Server Administrator: Built and managed the GPU cluster of Prof. Weiming Zhang's research group.
Teaching Assistant (Fall 2016, Fall 2017)
@ USTC, for Computer Programming A courses
President (2015-2016), CTO & Vice President (2014-2015)
@ USTC Linux User Group
- We proundly provide online services to Linux users on campus and in China, for example:
Journals & Conferences:
- R. Trimananda, H. Le, H. Cui, J. T. Ho, A. Shuba and A. Markopoulou, “OVRseen: Auditing Network Traffic and Privacy Policies in Oculus VR,” in Proc. of USENIX Security Symposium 2022, Boston, USA, Aug. 2022.
- H. Bian, H. Cui, K. Liu, Z. Hang, D. Chen, W. Zhou, W. Zhang, and N. Yu, “CDAE: Color Decomposition-based Adversarial Examples for Screen Devices,” in Information Sciences, 2021.
- J. Zhang, D. Chen, J. Liao, H. Fang, W. Zhang, W. Zhou, H. Cui, and N. Yu, “Model Watermarking for Image Processing Networks,” in Proc. of the AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 34(7), New York, USA, Feb. 2020.
- H. Fang, W. Zhang, Z. Ma, H. Zhou, S. Sun, H. Cui, and N. Yu, “A Camera Shooting Resilient Watermarking Scheme for Underpainting Documents,” in IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 30(11), Nov. 2020.
- H. Cui, H. Bian, W. Zhang, and N. Yu, “UnseenCode: Invisible On-screen Barcode with Image-based Extraction,” in Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM 2019, Paris, France, Apr. 2019.
- H. Fang, W. Zhang, H. Zhou, H. Cui, and N. Yu, “Screen-Shooting Resilient Watermarking,” in IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 14(6), Jun. 2019.
- H. Cui, and X. Zha “Parallel Image Registration Implementations for GMTSAR Package,” in Seismological Research Letters, Vol. 89(3), Feb. 2018.
- M.Eng. in Electronics and Communication Engineering: Color-Decomposition based Screen-Shooting Resilient Watermarking (2020)
- B.Sci. in Geophysics: Design and implementation of multi-threaded parallel InSAR processing program (2017)
- B.Eng. in Computer Science and Technology: Designing GPGPU parallel image-processing algorithms with OpenCL framework on mobile devices (2017)
- English: GRE General (AW4.0/V160/Q169); TOEFL (102: R30/L28/S21/W23)
- Japanese: JLPT N2
- Proficient: Python, C/C++, UNIX shell
- Platforms: Linux, Android, Adruino; OpenCV, PyTorch, Tensorflow; OpenCL, CUDA