The Morris (Moshe) Langsam Family
|Morris Langsam (c1870 - 2 Jun 1919) was probably born in the area that was, Galicia, Poland, to Isaac Langsam and Lena Baehr. His Hebrew name was Moshe. He married Henriette Langsam (c.1869 - 3 Feb 1908) and as per her death record, her parents were Israel Bon and Connie Bon. However, the 1900 US census lists Morris' mother-in-law residing with him under her surname of Baer. There is also an index to a Brooklyn marriage record (cert# 733) listing the marriage of Morris Longsom to Yetta Baer on 1 Mar 1891. Morris and Helen (as she was sometimes recorded) had four known children. The town in Europe were Michael was born is not known. However, there was a visit from the town of Stroze, Poland by his brother, Jacob Aron Langsam, who left Bremen, Germany and arrived at Ellis Island aboard the Main on 29 May 1906. It records Jacob Aron as being a married 42 year old. Jacob Aron gave his final destination as his brother, Moche Langsam living at 46 Bayard, Brooklyn NY. The Brooklyn City directories list a Morris Langsam in 1906 at 144 Bayard, Brooklyn. In the 1905 NY Census Morris Langsam, age 36, b. Hungary was living at 142 Bayard St. His family is listed on Bayard in 1910 as well. No other reference to Jacob Aron Langsam is found in US vital records. As there are more than a few Morris Langsams, only the detail definitive to this branch is recorded here. Much of the proof comes from the two Kings County Surrogate Court petitions following the passings of Henrietta and Morris.
- Rose (04 Mar 1892 - ) was born in Brooklyn, NY. She married Morris Bossert in Brooklyn, NY on 1 Nov 1914 (cert # 14469) and they had 3 known children.
- Henry (c1912 - 11 Jun 1920)
- Joseph (may have been born 26 Apr 1923) may have married Charlotte and
no other detail is known at this time
- June (c1925 - 05 Feb 1929)
- Henry/Harry (2 Jul 1894 - Jan 1971) was born Brooklyn, NY and named Yitzchok Tzvi. In his WWI draft he was still single and listed his occupation as a glass cutter for Eagle Cut Glass Works. On Jun 15 1919 he married in Brooklyn, NY to Mary Bossert (cert# 10808), just 2 weeks after his father's passing. It appears that Mary was the sister-in-law of Rose (Harry's older sister), brother to Morris. By the WWII draft, Harry was living in Jamaica, Queens and was self-employed. His firm was called Langsam Billig Corp. It does not appear that they had children. They were both laid to rest at the Acacia cemetery in Ozone Park, NY, side by side.
- Abraham (Oct 1896 - 24 May 1901) was born in Brooklyn, NY and is on the 1900 US census. He passed away at the age of 4 and his death record records that he is buried in Mount Zion cemetery. However, he does not show up in the cemetery's interment search.
- Berthe Rebeke (26 Jun 1900 - ?) was born in Brooklyn, NY. She is listed in the 1920 census as living with her married sister Rose after the passing of both Morris and Helen. No detail after 1920 has been found.
- Mildred/Minnie (18 Oct 1902 - 21 Aug 1976) was born in Brooklyn, NY. She is listed in the 1920 census as living with her married sister Rose, after the passing of both Morris and Helen. There is a marriage record in Brooklyn for a Mildred Langsam to Oscar Sirot on 11 May 1922 (cert# 8991).There is also the SSDI for Matilda Sirot showing a birthdate of 15 Oct 1902 and Fort Lauderdale, Broward, Florida Death Index showing a date of birth as 17 Oct 1902. This makes it a plausible assumption that this is her. In that case she seems to have lived in Mt Vernon, NY and it also appears her only known child was named after her grandmother Hellen (Yetta/Henrietta) Langsam.
- Yvette Henriette (c1922) grew up in Mt Vernon, NY. The 1940 US census shows her parents as John and Mildred. There is a yearbook entry for her in 1942 at the Penn Hall Junior College And Preparatory School in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. She is recorded as having married John Carpenter Dabney in Broward County, Florida on 2 May 1974 (volume 3545 cert# 026660). Yvette Henrietta has a prior married name of Butterly. Mr. Carpenter also appears in a 31 May 1984 Palm Beach, FL divorce index.
no other detail is known at this time
I would be very interested to hear from anyone with knowledge or an interest in the Miller family.
My home address is
1374 East 28th Street
Brooklyn NY 11210-5311
Last updated 11/08/2016