The Sora Langsam - Grumet Family
|Sora (Sarah) Langsam was from Sanok (Sunik in Yiddish), Galicia and passed away prior to 1911. She was married to Hersh Grumet who was born around 1849 in Siemuszowa (just 2.5 miles ESE of Tyrawa Woloska, Poland and 5.7 miles WSW of Sanok) and passed away in 1923 in Sanok. Hersh Grumet's parents were Avrahom and Chaya Grumet. They had nine known children. Hersh Grumet had at least two siblings: Shmuel b. 1847 and d. 1923 Sunik, and Roiza b about 1849 and there married Yosef Grumet. A g-g-gd, offered some detail via email.
- Minnie (מינדל) was born 15 Oct 1876 in Sanok, Galicia. She passed away in Pittsburgh on 12 Feb 1972. Her final resting place is in Poale Zedeck Cemetery, West End, PA. Minnie was to married Avrohom Wedner (Abraham Wiedner in his Declaration of Intent) who was born in 1873 in Sanok. He was the son of Yehuda and passed away 9 Sep 1951. Abraham arrived in the US on the SS Zeeland sailing from Antrwerp. The ship came to the Port of NY on 30 Jun 1902. Abraham is listed in his naturalization papers as being born 1 Oct 1873.
- Mollie was born 15 Jul 1900 in Europe (Austria) and passed away 1990. She was married to David Levine and had three known child.
Shirley, Vivian & Harold
- Louis was born 15 Jul 1903. He passed away 4 May 1910 in Pittsburgh, PA from Scarlet Fever.
- Bennie (בנימין מאיר) born 24 Aug 1906 in Pittsburgh, PA. He passed away 20 Feb 2002 and his last residence was Sarasota, FL. He was married to Lucille Jacobs (1912 - 2007), daughter of Isadore W. Jacobs and Betty Mendel, on 3 June 1936 at Pittsburgh, PA.
Carole Ferster of New Rochelle, NY and Dr. H. James Wedner of Ladue, MO
- Morris was stillborn 3 Nov 1908 in Pittsburgh, PA.
- David was born 25 Mar 1910 in Pittsburgh, PA. He was struck by a streetcar and passed away from those injuries on 1 Mar 1917.
- Joseph was born 1 Jun 1913 in Pittsburgh, PA and passed away 11 Jan 1999. His tombstone says he was a husband & uncle, so presumably, he had no children.
- Arthur was born 29 Nov 1915 in Pittsburgh, PA and passed away 7 Sep 2004. He married Estelle Janess (1920 - 1981), daughter of Samuel Janess & Mary Molang, on 5 Oct 1942 in Jefferson, AL. They had four known children. After Estelle's passing, Arthur married Esther Young (she was 58 years old at the time) on 27 Mar 1983 in Los Angeles, CA.
girl (lived 1 day, 18-19 Mar 1945), child, child & child
- Moshe was born in Sanok, Galicia in 1879. He arrived Sep 1913 at the port of Baltimore aboard the SS Neckar. His port of departure was Bremen, Germany. He listed his brother in Pittsburgh as his final destination. Moshe passed away in 1959. He was married to Miriam Wertentiel (or Bertenthal) and the family lived in Pittsburgh, PA. Miriam came to the USA around 1921 on the Aquitania to Ellis Island along with her daughter Sara. Miriam was born in Przysietnica in the district of Brzozow.
- Sara was born about 1911 and passed away 31 Dec 1999 in Jerusalem, Israel. She was married to Irving Deutsch.
Herschel, Miriam, Betty, & child
- Mayer (מאיר בנימין) was born on 1 Mar 1886 and he married Rivka Mallinger, born 1890 in the Sanok village of Pielnia (6.1 miles E of Sanok). Mayer arrived at the port of Baltimore aboard the SS Chemintz on 15 Jun 1905. Mayer and Rebecca married in Pittsburgh and had five known children.
- Nathan was born 17 Sep 1910 in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Joseph was born 7 Oct 1912 in Pittsburgh, PA. In 1988 he was living in Weirton, WV.
- Morris was born about 1914 in Pittsburgh, PA and passed away in 1968. He married Helen M. Dorio, daughter of Dominic Dorio and Mary Diulus, on 14 Oct 1940. He passed away sometime prior to 1988.
- Sarah was born about 1917 in Pittsburgh, PA. She married Louis Childs (1914 - 2008) on 18 Sep 1938. She passed away sometime prior to 1988.
Martin & Edward
- Julius was born about 1922 in Pittsburgh, PA and passed away in 1988. He married Beatrice Bernstein 23 Jan 1944.
Mark & Robert
- Chaya was born in 1890. Perhaps she is the Ida Grumetz that shows up in the 1920 census of Minnie Wedner.
- Rivka. She might be the Ryfka Gromet in the Brzozow PSA Births 1885-1907 Marriages on JewishGen. Her listing is only a partial listing. There is no spouse or date. It is akt 222.
I would be very interested to hear from anyone with knowledge or an interest in the Miller family.
My home address is
1374 East 28th Street
Brooklyn NY 11210-5311
Last updated 7/26/2017