Chains of direct references
How can a chain of direct references be created?
Dangling direct references
- What happens if a reference in the middle of a chain gets deleted?
Which Ref-Target gets returned in responses?
How can I see the properties of an intermediate reference in the chain? Or perform any other operation on an intermediate reference in the chain?
1. If you do a MKREF with Ref-Target = dref1, does DAV:reftarget get set to dref1 or to its target?
You can replace an ordinary target resource with a direct reference.
2. Dangling References: the Ref-Target that gets included in the 404 response is the URI of the resource that is missing. So if a direct reference in the middle of a chain gets deleted, its URI gets returned as the missing Ref-Target.
But what about the methods that the spec claims succeed: PUT, MKCOL, MKREF? They would end up replacing the missing reference, not the resource at the end of the chain. They have no way of knowing the missing resource was itself a reference.
3. The URI of the final target resource, unless one of the references in a chain is broken?
4. There is no way in the current spec.