Re: Versioning Thoughts (in HTML)

Christopher Seiwald (seiwald@p3.com)
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 00:07:50 -0700

| From: "David G. Durand" <dgd@cs.bu.edu>
| Subject: Versioning Thoughts (in HTML)

| best done by tracking user operations, (typically editing operations) and
| constructing versions as sets of non-interfering edits. This makes merging
| and distribution easy, at the expense of making the notion of version
| trees only one of a variety of styles.

| version, or that if there are multiple predecessors, one of them is the
| "main" one.  The semantics should not assume that every derived version
| even has a meaningful predecessor version.  In my model, a user might want
| to designate a new "top-level version" for the result of a complicated
| merge involving many manual decisions about which changes to keep and how
| conflicts are to be resolved.

Sorry for the long excerpt:  I believe what you are describing is what
in SCM circles is called "change sets."  That's the approach to version
management where a configuration object is stored as a collection of
deltas and the contents of a "version" is the result of combining any
arbitrary subset of those deltas.  This is in contrast to more traditional
SCM where a configuration object is a tree of versions, and deltas lead
from one version to the next.

This model is embodied in the commercial SCM system Aide-de-Camp.

Christopher
----
Christopher Seiwald     P3 Software             http://www.p3.com
seiwald@p3.com          f-f-f-fast SCM          1-510-865-8720