Re: version management and relative links

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Sun, 09 Jun 1996 23:42:36 -0400

In message <v02130500ade135ddb817@[128.148.157.46]>, "David G. Durand" writes:

>   After I read your earlier attempt to kill the discussion of version
>identification in the URL, I read the Genericity notes by TimBL.

Thank you. My intent was to be sure everybody's aware of the
history of semantics-in-URLs.

>    I don't want to founder on a religious issue: if the W3C will rule URL
>version information right out, I'm willing to accept extra mandatory use of
>HTTP operations to find out any version information. I assume that others
>would, too. But I think that the justification for that (if there is to be
>one) is not yet clear.

Fair enough. I didn't mean to imply that W3C would rule things out
without justification. But so few folks have read the justification
that has been written, and I don't have time to make the arguments yet
again.

I'd like to reply in detail to your message, but folks are flying in
from all over creation for the W3C advisory committee Monday and
Tuesday, and I'm on the hook for all kinds of stuff.

Good luck, and may the Right Thing win.

Dan