ICS 139W Spring 2014, Emily Navarro
(assignment adapted with permission from Deva Ramanan)
Extra Credit - Personal Statement
This assignment is worth a maximum of 5% additional points on top of your final grade. For this assignment, you will prepare a personal statement, similar to one you may be required to write for application to graduate school (e.g., an MBA) or fellowship. Select one of the following questions to answer with an essay of approximately three pages:
- What is your proudest achievement, and how has it impacted you?
- What are your short-term and long-term career goals, and how will a degree from our university (or fellowship) specifically help you achieve these goals?
- Describe a challenging experience, such as a personal or professional setback.
- Describe a person you admire.
- Describe a situation where your professional ethics were challenged.
- How will other students at our university benefit from your background, experience, leadership, and/or teamwork skills?
- What do you consider to be the single most important societal problem? Why?
- Choose a book or books that have affected you deeply and explain why.
Due date: June 5 by 5pm (both hard copy and electronic copy)