I am a Chancellor's Professor in the
Science Department of the University of California,
Irvine, director of the Center for
Algorithms and Theory of Computation, and associate
the Center for
Algorithms, Combinatorics, and Optimization.
My research (see selected publications) has covered many topics in
computational geometry and graph algorithms, including:
- Graph drawing and information visualization
- Dynamic graph algorithms and dynamic closest pair
- Mesh generation and optimal triangulation
- K-shortest paths and related combinatorial
- Subgraph isomorphism and network statistics
- Data depth and robust statistics
- Exponential-time algorithms for NP-hard problems
I am also an avid photographer and have many
photos in my web photo
This site is quite static; if you want more frequent
updates (or to find out what's changed here)
go to my
or my Mastodon
My name is not uncommon (although the spelling
is atypical); see my page of Eppsteins on the net if you
think you've reached the wrong me.
book Forbidden Patterns in Discrete Geometry,
May 10, 2018
talks in Australia, Canada, and Japan, December 12, 2017.
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, November 27, 2017.
- Two NSF grants for algorithm research, August 1, 2016.
- New Center for Algorithms and Theory of Computation, March 31, 2010.
- ONR grant to study large-scale networks. September 24, 2008.