Gene Macintosh Genealogy
Known bugs in Gene 4.3.4:
- Gene can not correctly display or print cards with more than
32k characters in their link or text panes.
- Accented characters in tree drawings are not correctly printed
on HP plotters.
- Accented capital letters have their accents clipped off when they
appear in the first line of the links pane.
- Marriages with only one spouse don't show up in verbose trees.
- The descendants report starting from a pair of spouses runs their
information together without any space between them.
- The Merge command is unable to handle merging a person card and a
name change card both having the same name. Workaround: rename one of
the cards before attempting the merge.
still doesn't like the HTML produced by Gene's reports.
- We have an unverified report that
colons in place names cause HTML multiple-file whole-database to crash
due to being unable to open output file.
- RTF-format reports are not correctly indented.
Known conflicts with other software:
- There is a reported incompatibility between Gene
(version not specified, likely 4.3.3 according to report date)
and Netatalk 1.5pre6-1rh7.
- Gene's preference file usage may conflict with the new
"multiple users" feature of MacOS 9.0. Workaround:
turn multiple user accounts off via the radio button at the bottom of
the "Multiple Users" control panel.
- One user has reported a conflict with older versions of
AutoMenus Pro (an extension for activating menus with mouse
rollovers rather than clicks), causing the Windows menu to be
greyed out. This can be worked around by configuring AutoMenus to
exclude Gene, or fixed by upgrading to AutoMenus version
Known bugs in Gene 4.3 - 4.3.3, now fixed in Gene 4.3.4:
- Gene may crash when sorting links from cards that have the same
date and type but differ on a link field that is blank on one of them.
- In whole file report to multiple HTML files, the links from the
surnames to the individual names are not correct: Person.html uses
"a href" where it should use "a name" HTML tags. Also, multiple HTML files
have incorrect closing tags.
- Asking Gene to Merge from a file that's already open causes pictures
to get lost, and can lead to later crashes. Also, the "Merge" menu item
should be "Merge..." to indicate that it opens a dialog.
- Exporting a report with a picture in it (single card or whole file)
as an HTML file causes the picture height and width and button
coordinates to all be replaced by the number one.
- Gene can crash under various circumstances involving manipulating
pictures then saving the file.
- The "Merge Files" command may malfunction if both files contain
- Widow/er links can cause deaths to be omitted from family group
- Parenthesized numbers after the last name get turned into part of
the last name when exported and re-imported.
- Accented characters are incorrectly output in RTF-format reports.
- Non-breaking spaces are turned into spaces rather than
in HTML reports.
- Index numbers in HTML-format reports are incorrect.
- Reports to single HTML files do not set the page title.
- GEDCOM export mixes up individual notes and birth source.
- Name Change cards cause problems in whole file reports.
- GEDCOM files with information about how to parse names
into given, surname, etc., produce "Unknown GEDCOM tag" when imported.
- Tree drawings at screen width may not always fit on-screen.
- Descendant and descendant families reports may omit some people.
- Leading and trailing blanks are not stripped when entering card names.
- Gene can lose track of its pictures after saving the file.
- Some accented characters are incorrectly output in LaTeX-format
- Some family records could be omitted from exported GEDCOM files.
- After using the menu to set a person's sex, Gene doesn't think the
file has changed.
Known bugs in Gene 4.2.1, now fixed in Gene 4.3:
- If a GEDCOM marriage record contained a date when the record
was last changed, it overwrote the marriage date.
- GEDCOM TIME lines (particularly time of last change to a record)
were not parsed when importing GEDCOM files.
- GEDCOM CONT and CONC lines were not distinguished correctly.
- Bad GEDCOM files in which a line contained a number without a tag
could cause Gene to crash.
- Telling Gene to open a GEDCOM file, then cancelling the dialog asking
whether to import it instead, caused an error message to appear.
- Importing a GEDCOM file, then saving, would overwrite the GEDCOM.
- The ".gene" suffix was not stripped before adding ".ged" when making
default filenames for GEDCOM export.
- Event cards with multiple people were only exported
to the GEDCOM record of the first person.
- Exported GEDCOM death records included an MSTAT line
no longer allowed in the GEDCOM 5.5 standard.
- Exported event types could have extraneous slash characters added.
- Events with empty "Event" field produced GEDCOM with blank TYPE lines.
- Family events with empty "Event" field produced ugly link strings.
- Ancestor or descendant reports would occasionally omit some people.
- Setting a button to link to a card in the edit picture dialog
did not correctly update the linked card's name to its normal form.
- "Opening Files" card list preference was not obeyed.
- The option of saving files by renaming a temporary file
was broken when the file was stored on a shared filesystem.
- Option-clicking caused mysterious redisplay problems.
- Merge cards made garbage chars for empty field.
- Ancestor and descendant family reports made bad cross-links to the
second person listed in the report dialog, when outputting to multiple
- HTML reports did not properly handle URLs embedded in card text panes.
- Changing the capitalization of a name would not change the name list
if the name was selected there.
- The Merge Cards command would not complain if only given
one card name.
If you discover any other bug or unexpected behavior in Gene,
please tell us about it -- if we don't know about it we can't fix
it. Send bug reports and suggestions by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eppstein, ICS, UC Irvine.