Re: Versions and configurations

David J. Fiander (davidf@worf.mks.com)
Fri, 31 May 1996 08:19:02 -0400

Kenji writes:

> This is because a version of an entity may consist of different versions
> of component entities.  Generally speaking, each constituent of
> configuration layers may have different version schemas and numbers.  For
> example, version 3 of an entire document consists of version 4 of
> a component and version 5 of another component.

This is the idea brought up by Marty in the message
<9605291632.AA0573@ccmnotes1.cwi.com> and by Jim in his proposal
on versioning, where he proposes the new content type
text/config.  In the long run this functionality is critical,
especially for researchers who will want to cite Web documents,
and need to ensure that the reader is reading the same document
that the author of a paper wrote  (see the 4th edition of the MLA
manual for writers of research papers for more rationale; I,
unfortunately, left mine at home today).

- David