Home Page for Professor Jessica Utts
University of California,
Professor Jessica Utts
Department of Statistics
Donald Bren Hall
University of California
Irvine, CA 92697-1250
Department Office: 949-824-5392
Email (not clickable to reduce spamming):
Office location: 2038 Donald Bren Hall, UC Irvine
Department office: 2042 Donald Bren Hall, UC Irvine
Major Administrative and Service Roles (Current and Recent Past, with links)
- 2015 President-Elect and 2016 President,
American Statistical Association
- Chair, Department of Statistics, University of California, Irvine
- Vice President, International Association for Statistical Education, 2011-2013
- Member, Board of Directors,
American Statistical Association, 2010-2012
- Chair, Committee of Presidents of
Statistical Societies (COPSS), Jan 2007 - Dec 2009
- Chair of the Board, Consortium for the
Advancement of Undergraduate Statistics Education (CAUSE)
- Vice-Chair of the Board, National Institute of Statistical Sciences (NISS), 2008-2011
- AP Annual Conference 2015: Results and Teaching Tips from the 2015 AP Statistics Exam and
Compact version with 4 slides per page
- AP Annual Conference 2014: Results and Teaching Tips from the 2014 AP Statistics Exam
- The Importance of Statistics Education, Santiago, Chile, January 2013 and Round Table Talk
- Statistics Workshop, 56th Annual Conference of the Parapsychological Association, Viterbo, Italy, August 2013
- AP Statistics Professional Night Talk: What Do Future Senators, Scientists, Social Workers and Sales Clerks Need to Learn from Your Statistics Class?
- From Seances to Science: Investigating Psychic Phenomena with Statistics and pdf version
- California State University, Fullerton, October 6, 2011: Are we all Bayesians? The strength of evidence vs the power of belief
- California Mathematics Council, Community Colleges (CMC3),
December 13, 2008,
- Analysis of Milton Wiseman Meta-analysis, July 15, 2007,
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- WNAR New Researchers' Lunch, June 26, 2007,
- Japanese Behaviormetrics
Society, September 12, 2006, Tokyo, Japan
Joint Statistics Meeting, September 7, 2006, Sendai, Japan
- Stor Konferens om Parapsykologisk Forskning, Stockholm, Sweden, August 3, 2006
Workshop/AMATYC, Nov 8&9, 2005
Dec 2, 2005
Current Classes (Fall 2015)
Classes at UC Irvine
Classes at UC Davis
My Curriculum Vitae
Where I Received my
Places I Have Had
My Research Interests
I am interested in applied statistics, and have published
most extensively on the use of statistics in parapsychology.
I am also interested in statistics education and literacy.
I have provided some of the most commonly requested papers here.
In the Fall of 1995 Professor Ray Hyman (University of Oregon)and I prepared a report
assessing the statistical evidence for psychic functioning in US government sponsored research.
The report was part of a review done by the American Institutes of Research
(AIR) at the request of Congress and the CIA. It received wide-spread media coverage.
My report and related reports:
"Replication and Meta-Analysis in Parapsychology."
(Statistical Science, with commentary by others) - summarizes some of
the statistical evidence for psi phenomena that was available at the time the
paper was written (1991).
Jessica (1999). The Significance of Statistics in Mind-Matter Research, Journal
of Scientific Exploration, 13(4), 615-638.
the Evidence and its Implications for Consciousness" published
in the [London]
Times Higher Education Supplement, Apr. 5th. 1996, page (v), with Nobel
Laureate Brian Josephson
Jessica (2003). What Educated Citizens Should Know about Statistics and
Probability, American Statistician, 57(2), 74-79.
Through Statistics, 4th edition (2015), ISBN 9781285050881
On Statistics, 5th edition (2015) by Jessica Utts and Robert Heckard,
Ideas and Methods, 1st edition (2006) by Jessica Utts and Robert Heckard, ISBN 0-049-512250-5
Last updated July 2015 (with some links updated in the more distant past)