Dr. Gregory Alan Bolcer
A unique and talented individual with a blend of deep technical expertise and business development experience; well connected in the Internet and software industries; strong network security and open source background; a pioneer in the Web application, Web protocol, and Peer to Peer (P2P) networking spaces; excellent early-stage fundraising skills; strong ties to government and academia; high profile, high-tech industry news and analyst presence; experience in both buy-side and sell-side mergers & acquisitions.
- 1998 Ph.D. Info & Computer Science, University of California, Irvine (UCI)
- 1993 M.S. Computer Science, Software Engineering, University of Southern California (USC)
- 1989 B.S. Info & Computer Science, University of California, Irvine (UCI)
October 2007 to present, Vice President Engineering, High Tower Software, Inc.
- Restructured engineering organization to match business goals
- Relaunched products & responsible for re-factoring product into a service-oriented architecture
- Recruited top tier technical talent from personal network
- Operational responsibility for Software Engineering, Quality Assurance, and Information Security divisions
- Delivered a series of product releases weeks and months ahead of schedule and under budget
- Oversaw a yearly budget of over $3 million and up to 40 employees
- Significantly contributed to growing the valuation of the company 5-10 times in first 12 months
- Responsible for intellectual property and patent strategy and filings
January 2005 to October 2007, Founder & Chief Software Architect, Encryptanet, Inc.
- Invented, designed, and implemented initial technology from concept to product
- Responsible for all aspects of company including, business plan, funding, staffing
- Responsible for intellectual property, patent strategy and filings
- Managed, deployed, and maintained technology solutions for multiple customers & partners including Forbes and several others
March 2000 to January 2005, Founder & Chief Technology Officer, Endeavors Technology, Inc.
- Directed development of collaboration, Internet security, and streaming products
- Built up and managed partnerships with Microsoft, Akamai, Intel, Autodesk, MCI, HP, Altavista, RSA, Stellent, and Webex
- Worked with MCI, Verizon, EDS, AOL to design and test product offerings and services around technology
- Key business and corporate development roles including business plan development and due diligence leading to the acquisitions of Omnishift, StreamTheory
March 1998 to March 2000, Founder & CEO Endeavors Technology, Inc.
- Licensed own DARPA funded technology from UC Irvine
- Bootstrapped business from garage to successful startup & doubled shareholder value
- Negotiated sale to Tadpole Technology, PLC for $4 million plus long-term financing
September 1989 to March 1998, Research Staff, UC Irvine Info. & Computer Science
- Internet Technologies research on Web protocols, security, computer-human interaction, Web development tools and technologies, collaboration, and Web-based workflow
- Oversaw $1 million/year Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency high tech research project; grants funded totaling more than $7 million
- Managed up to 8 full time employees, up to 40 students at a time in 10 week increments
- Taught senior level software engineering project course & initiated very successful program that involved real-world projects from local corporations
- Worked with Netscape, Microsoft, HP, Sun and dozens of other companies to coordinate Web protocol standards development
- Licensed technology to Sun Microsystems
Awards & Recognition
- Donald Bren School of Information & Computer Science Distinguished Alumnus of 2004 Lauds & Laurels award recipient
- Orange County Council of the AeA 2004, Best new design of a utility product service
- Secure Computing, Best new security product design finalist, 2004, London, UK
- 2005 Computerworld Premier 100 IT leaders nominee
- FastCompany.com's 2006 Global Reader's Challenge "Fast 50" finalist
- Affiliate and Consultant, 4K-Associates, organizing group for the largest public key cryptography crack ever (4K Associates)
- Institute for Software Research (ISR) affiliated member, University of California, Irvine
- Intel Peer to Peer Working Group Technical Architecture Council Chair, elected 2001
Events & Speakerships
- Microsoft Executive Circle Webcast: Cost-Effective and Piracy-Free Software Deployment, speaker, December 2003
- Microsoft Executive Circle Webcast: On Demand Applications Made Easy, speaker, December 2003
- Ziff Davis Business 4Site panelist on Overcoming Organizational Resistance, Los Angeles, CA June 2004
- Tech Coast Venture Network, panel on Raising Money, Costa Mesa, CA March 2003
- Opal Financial Group, CIO & Technology Officers Summit, Conference Co-Chair, Laguna Niguel, December 2002
- Financial Services Instant Messaging Association founding corporate member and liaison, October 2002
- IMPlanet, Jupiter Communications, September 2002
- Nokia Innovent P2P Roundtable, invited participate by Nokia CEO Pekka Ala-Pietila
- MIT Sloan eBusiness entrepreneur competition panel judge, 2002
- British American Business Council of Los Angeles liaison, 2001-2003
- IBM Academy of Technology, Invited Speaker on P2P Technologies by the Corporate Emerging Technology Committee, Yorktown, NY, April 2001
- Digital Hollywood Conference, Mobile Peer-to-Peer Computing, San Jose, April 2001
- O'Reilly P2P Conference, Speaker, Building Peer Support into devices by scaling down the Web, Feb 2001
- Organizer Internet Scale Workshop series 1998-2000, WISEN, TWIST'99, TWIST'2000
- Co-organizer for the Bay Area Roundtable technical series, Palo Alto, 1995-1997
Academic & Commercial Publications
- Microsoft Customer Solution Business Case Study, Autodesk, Bolcer, G. 2003
- Intel Customer Case Study: Autodesk, Bolcer, G. 2003
- Trusting Technology: Secure Instant Messaging is Ready for Enterprise Adoptions, Bolcer, G., 2002
- Locking and Blocking: Secure Instant Messaging Countermeasure Architecture Issues, Bolcer, G., 2002
- P2P: How Peer-to-Peer Technology is Revolutionizing the Way We Do Business, Fattah, H. M., Dearborn Publishing, 2002, contributed interviews, quotes, and selected text.
- Peer-to-Peer: Building Secure, Scalable, and Manageable Networks, Moore D. and Hebeler, J., McGraw Hill, 2002, contributed interviews, quotes, and selected text.
- Peer-to-Peer Computing: Technologies for Sharing and Collaboration on the Net. Barkai, D., Intel Press, 2001, contributed interviews, quotes, and selected text.
- Peer-to-Peer Architectures and the Magi Open-Source Infrastructure, Bolcer, G. and et al, Dec. 2000.
- Magi: An Architecture for Mobile and Disconnected Workflow, Bolcer, G. IEEE Journal of Internet Computing, May-June, 2000.
- Web-based Development of Complex Information Products, Fielding, R., Whitehead, E. J., Anderson, K. Bolcer, G. and et al, Communications of the ACM, Vo 41, No 8, August 1998.
- SWAP: Leveraging the Web to Manage Workflow, Bolcer, G. and Kaiser, G., IEEE Jounral of Internet Computing, Jan-Feb, 1999.
- Advanced Workflow Management Technologies, Bolcer, G. and Taylor, R. N., Journal of Software Process Improvement and Practice, 1998.
- Flexible and Customizable Workflow Execution on the WWW, Bolcer, G., Ph.D. Dissertation, 1998.
- User Interface Design Assistance for Large-Scale Software. Bolcer, G., Journal of Automated Software Engineering, Vo 2, No 3, September 1995.
- Chiron-1: A Software Architecture for User Interface Development, Maintenance, and Run-Tim Support, Taylor, R. N., Nies, K., Bolcer, G. and et al, ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction, Vo 2, No 2, 1995.
Press & Interviews
- Computerworld, Opinion: Destination Desktop, Mark Hall, cover story quoted with Bill Joy, June 2004
- SoCal Tech News, An Interview with Greg Bolcer, May 2004
- CEONetworking's Top Business Trends, Mitchell Levy, contributor 2000-2008
- Orange County Register, The Net's Next Napster, Eric Johnson, Color picture & front page business section, Feb, 2001
- The Wall Street Transcript, Interview of Greg Bolcer of Endeavors Technology, December 2001
- Financial Times, WAP: More Business Applications Needed, Joia Shillingford, September, 2000
- CNBC UK, Power Lunch, Endeavors MagiWAP Demo, December 2000
- 1999-2004, Interviews and quotes in Infoworld, Computerworld, eWeek, ZDNet, ZDNet Asia, ZDNet Europe, Internet Week, Network World, Bloomberg, Reuters, Citywire, CNN, Computer Weekly, Internet World, Planet IT, Tech Republic, Business 2.0, The Economist, MIT Technology Review, Dr. Dobbs, The Associated Press, Wired, and others.
Technology Expertise, Patents, and Filings
- Micro-Apache Generic Interface, decentralized peer-to-peer technologies based on the Apache HTTP Server project, the Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning protocol, and a simple, distributed Public Key Infrastructure
- SWAP, Simple Workflow Access Protocol extensions to the HTTP and WebDAV Web protocols
- Desktop Web Services, client resident, personal Web service tools and automation using a client Web service proxy
- Patent Application: Client-Based Systems for Performing Network Transactions
- Patent Application: Server-Oriented Systems and Methods for Performing Network Transactions
- Patent Application: Electronic Systems and Methods for Regulating Access to Content Servers
- Patent Application: Electronic Systems and Methods for Dynamic Allocation of Charging for Content Access
- Patent Application: Enhanced Digital Certificates Usable in Network Transactions
- Patent Application: Systems and Methods for Protecting Financial Data in Network Transactions
- Patent Application: Systems and Methods for Performing Network Transactions using Digital Certificates
- Patent Application: Network Transactions and Access Using Multiple Digital Certificates
- Patent Application: Systems and Methods for Accessing Content Search Results
- Patent Application: Electronic Systems and Methods for Performing Trusted Purchases
- Patent Application: Systems and Methods for Invocation of Streaming Applications
- Patent Application: Systems and Methods for Purchasing Products over a Network
- Patent Application: Systems and Methods for Streaming Data through a Wireless Mobile Device
- Patent Application: Systems and Methods for Indexing Data in a Network Environment
- Patent Application: Systems and Methods for Conducting Electronic Media Transactions
- Patent Application: Systems and Methods for Converting Wireless Product codes to Uniform Resource Locators
- Patent Application: System & Method for Selectively Granting Access to Digital Content
- Patent Application: System for Parallel Processing of Network Events
- Patent Application: System for Providing Security as a Service
- Patent Application: System for Identifying Network Activity
- Patent Application: System for Parallel Database Transactions (GPGPU Computing)