My research is in computational vision, in particular how to combine bottom-up processing, such as image segmentation with top-down information, such as recognition of familiar shapes. I'm interested in how measuring the predictive power of different visual cues can provide general information-theoretic constraints on human visual processing. I also work on developing tools for biological image analysis in order to measure morphology and spatial patterns of gene expression in developing animals.
NSF award "CAREER: Combinatorial Inference and Learning for
Fusing Recognition and Perceptual Grouping"
H. Bae, C. Fowlkes, P. Chou, "Accurate Motion Deblurring using Camera Motion Tracking and Scene Depth", WACV, Clearwater Beach, Florida, (Jan. 2013).
H. Bae, C. Fowlkes, P. Chou, "Patch Mosaic for Fast Motion Deblurring", ACCV, Daejeon, Korea, (Nov. 2012).
- X. Zhu, C. Vondrick, D. Ramanan, C. Fowlkes, "Do we need more training data or better models for object detection?", BMVC, Surrey, UK (Sept. 2012).
- J. Yarkony, A. Ihler, C. Fowlkes, "Fast Planar Correlation Clustering
for Image Segmentation'', ECCV, Firenze, Italy (Oct. 2012).
- I co-organized USA-Sino Summer School in Vision, Learning, Pattern Recognition: VLPR 2012 which took place at Fudan Unviersity, Shanghai, China July 2012.
- I co-organized The Eighth IEEE Computer Society Workshop on Perceptual Organization in Computer Vision (POCV 2012) which took place at CVPR 2012 in Providence, RI.
- J. Hengenius, M. Gribskov, A. Rundell, C. Fowlkes, D. Umulis, "Analysis
of Gap Gene Regulation in a 3D Organism-Scale Model of the Drosohpila
PLoS ONE 6(11): e26797. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0026797, 2011.
- Y. Yang, S. Hallman, D. Ramanan, C. Fowlkes, "Layered Object Models
for Image Segmentation",
- C. Fowlkes, K. Eckenrode, M. Bragdon, M. Meyer, Z. Wunderlich, L.
Simirenko, C. Hendriks, S. Keranen, C. Henreiquez, M. Biggin, M. Eisen,
A. DePace, "A conserved developmental patterning network produces
quantitatively different output in multiple species of Drosophila,"
PLoS Genetics, 7(10): e1002346, 2011.
ics 162 : modeling and world building [f12]
cs 116 : computational photography and vision [w10,w11,w13]
cs 117 : project in computer vision [w09]
cs 216 : image understanding [f08,f10,f11,f12]
cs 217 : light and geometry in vision [w12,s10]
cs 295 : research topics in vision [s09,w10,w11]
cs 177 : applications of probability in computer science [s08]
- Raúl Díaz (PhD)
- Golnaz Ghiasi (PhD)
- Sam Hallman (PhD)
- Bailey Kong (PhD)
- Shaofei Wang (MS)
- Julian Yarkony (PhD,2012) now at UC Santa Barbara
- Matthew Nease (BS, 2012) now at Edmunds
- Shu-Chi Hsu (MS, 2012)
- Kuang-Chi Liu
- Yihang Bo (visiting PhD, 2010-2011) now at Institute of Automation, CAS
- Ragib Morshed (MS, 2011) now at Adconion
- Sangeeta Jha (MS, 2010) now at Intel
- Tony Tran (MS, 2009) now at Bizo
My research is currently supported by: