My research is in computational vision, in particular how to integrate mechanisms for visual recognition and perceptual organization with 3D scene understanding. We apply these computational models to a variety of problems including development of tools for biological image and shape analysis in neuroscience, animal development and palynology as well as applications to forensic science.
recent research highlights:
- S. Kong, C. Fowlkes, "Recurrent Scene Parsing with Perspective Understanding in the Loop", Technical Report, (May 2017)
- S. Kong, C. Fowlkes, "Low-rank Bilinear Pooling for Fine-Grained Classification",
to appear, CVPR, (July 2017).
- R. Diaz, C. Fowlkes,
"Cluster-wise Ratio Tests for Fast Camera Localization",
Int. Workshop on Visual Odometry, CVPR, (July 2017).
- S. Wang, S. Wolf, C. Fowlkes, J. Yarkony, "Tracking Objects with
Higher Order Interactions using Delayed Column Generation", to appear,
AISTATS, (April 2017).
- S. Wang, C. Fowlkes, "Learning Optimal Parameters for Multi-target
Tracking with Contextual Interactions",
IJCV, 122:484 (2017).
S. Kong, X. Shen, Z. Lin, R. Mech, C. Fowlkes, "Photo Aesthetics Ranking
Network with Attributes and Content Adaptation",ECCV,
Amsterdam, (Oct. 2016).
G. Ghiasi, C. Fowlkes, "Laplacian Pyramid Reconstruction and Refinement for Semantic Segmentation",
ECCV, Amsterdam, (Oct. 2016).
S. Kong, S. Punyasena, C. Fowlkes, "Spatially Aware Dictionary Learning and Coding for Fossil Pollen Identiifcation",
CVMI Workshop, Los Vegas, NV, (July 2016).
P. Nguyen, G. Rogez, C. Fowlkes, D. Ramanan, "The Open World of Micro-Videos", Technical Report, (March 2016).
R. Diaz, M. Lee, J. Schubert, C. Fowlkes,
"Lifting GIS Maps into Strong Geometric Context",
WACV Lake Placid, NY (March 2016).
- M. Chiang, S. Hallman, A. Cinquin, N. Reyes de Mochel, A. Paz, S.
Kawauchi, A. Calof, K. Cho, C. Fowlkes, O. Cinquin, "Analysis of in
vivo single cell behavior by high throughput, human-in-the-loop
segmentation of three-dimensional images",
BMC Bioinformatics 2015, 16:397
J. Yarkony, C. Fowlkes, "Planar Ultrametrics for Image Segmentation",
NIPS, (Dec. 2015).
- J. B. Treweek, K. Chan, N. Flytzanis, B. Yang, B. Deverman, A. Greenbaum, A.
Lignell, C. Xiao, L. Cai, M. Ladinsky, P. Bjorkman, C. Fowlkes, V. Gradinaru
"Whole-Body Tissue Stabilization and Selective Extractions via Tissue-Hydrogel
Hybrids for High Resolution Intact Circuit Mapping and Phenotyping",
Nature Protocols, 10 (11), 1860-1896, (2015)
G. Ghiasi, C. Fowlkes, "Occlusion Coherence: Detecting and Localizing Occluded Faces", Technical Report, (June 2015)
more recent pubs here...
- Minhaeng Lee (PhD)
- Bailey Kong (PhD)
- Shu Kong (PhD)
- Phuc Nguyen (PhD, co-advised with Deva Ramanan)
- Zhe Wang (PhD)
- Maharshi Patel (BS, 2017)
- Golnaz Ghiasi (PhD, 2016) now at Google
- Raúl Díaz (PhD, 2016) now at HP
- Sam Hallman (PhD, 2015) now at Amazon
- Shaofei Wang (MS, 2013)
- Julian Yarkony (PhD,2012) now at Experian Data Lab
- Matthew Nease (BS, 2012) now at Edmunds
- Shu-Chi Hsu (MS, 2012)
- Ragib Morshed (MS, 2011) now at Adconion
- Sangeeta Jha (MS, 2010) now at Intel
- Tony Tran (MS, 2009) now at Uber
- Dennis Park (MS, 2009) now at Vicarious
- James Supancic (PhD w/Deva Ramanan, 2017)
- Michael Chiang (PhD w/Olivier Cinquin, 2015)
- Hyeoungho Bae (PhD w/Pai Chu, 2013) now at Microsoft
- Yihang Bo (visiting PhD, 2010-2011) now at Beijing Film Academy
Prize in 2015 for significant impact in computer vision with our paper:
"A Database of Human Segmented Natural Images and its Application to Evaluating Segmentation Algorithms and Measuring Ecological Statistics", D. Martin, C. Fowlkes, D. Tal, J. Malik. ICCV 2001 [pdf]
- Marr Prize in 2009 for our paper:
"Discriminative models for multi-class object layout", C. Desai, D. Ramanan, C. Fowlkes. ICCV 2009 [pdf]
- Award for Teaching Excellence in Undergarduate Education, UCI ICS, 2014
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2013
Big Data Image Processing and Analysis.
Monday, September 18-22, 2017.
Center for Complex Biological Systems,
University of California, Irvine.
cs 117 : project in computer vision [w09,f13,s15,s17]
ics 162 : modeling and world building [f12,s14,f15]
cs 116 : computational photography and vision [w10,w11,w13,w14,w16,w17]
cs 216 : image understanding [f08,f10,f11,f12,s14,w16,s17]
cs 217 : light and geometry in vision [s10,w12,s15]
cs 295 : research topics in vision [s09,w10,w11]
cs 177 : applications of probability in computer science [s08]
My research is currently supported by:
- NSF ( IIS-1618806, IIS-1253538, DBI-1262547 )
- NIH (NIBIB R25:EB022366, OD OT2:OD023848)
- NIST CSAFE: Center for Statistics and Applications in Forensic Evidence
- Research Gift from Adobe
- Hardware donation from NVIDIA
service and meetings organized:
- Area chair for CVPR (2010,2012,2016, 2017), ICCV (2015, 2017), ECCV (2016), ISMB (2016)
- Associate editor for CVIU (2016-), IEEE/ACM TCBB (2015-)
- USA-Sino Summer School in Vision, Learning, Pattern Recognition (VLPR 2012) Fudan Unviersity, Shanghai, China July 2012.
- The Eighth Workshop on Perceptual Organization in Computer Vision (POCV 2012), CVPR, Providence, RI.
- Southern California Computer Vision Meetup (2009-2012)