My research is in computational vision, in particular how to integrate mechanisms for visual recognition and perceptual organization. I'm interested in how measuring the predictive power of different visual cues can provide general information-theoretic constraints on human visual processing. I also work on developing tools for biological image and shape analysis in order to measure morphology and spatial patterns of gene expression in developing animals.
G. Ghiasi, C. Fowlkes, "Occlusion Coherence: Detecting and Localizing Occluded Faces", Technical Report, June 2015
X. Zhu, C. Vondrick, C. Fowlkes, D. Ramanan, "Do we need more training data?",
IJCV, DOI 10.1007/s11263-015-0812-2, 2015
S. Hallman, C. Fowlkes, "Oriented Edge Forests for Boundary Detection",
CVPR, Boston, MA, (June 2015).
S. Wang, C. Fowlkes, "Learning Multi-target Tracking with Quadratic
Object Interactions", Technical Report, Dec. 2014
M. Staller, C. Fowlkes, M. Bragdon, J. Estrada, Z. Wunderlich, A. DePace, "A
gene expression atlas of a bicoid-depleted Drosophila embryo reveals
early canalization of cell fate",
Development 142, p 587-596, (2015)
G. Ghiasi, Y. Yang, D. Ramanan, C. Fowlkes, "Parsing Occluded People",
CVPR, Columbus, OH, (June 2014).
R. Díaz, S. Hallman, C. Fowlkes, "Detecting Dynamic Objects with Multi-View Background Subtraction",
ICCV, Sydney, Australia (December 2013).
cs 117 : project in computer vision [w09,f13,s15]
ics 162 : modeling and world building [f12,s14]
cs 116 : computational photography and vision [w10,w11,w13,w14]
cs 216 : image understanding [f08,f10,f11,f12,s14]
cs 217 : light and geometry in vision [s10,w12,s15]
cs 295 : research topics in vision [s09,w10,w11]
cs 177 : applications of probability in computer science [s08]
past advisees and collaborators
- Hyeoungho Bae (PhD, 2013) now at Microsoft
- Shaofei Wang (MS, 2013)
- Julian Yarkony (PhD,2012) now at Experian Data Lab
- Matthew Nease (BS, 2012) now at Edmunds
- Shu-Chi Hsu (MS, 2012)
- Yihang Bo (visiting PhD, 2010-2011) now at Institute of Automation, CAS
- Ragib Morshed (MS, 2011) now at Adconion
- Sangeeta Jha (MS, 2010) now at Intel
- Tony Tran (MS, 2009) now at Bizo
- USA-Sino Summer School in Vision, Learning, Pattern Recognition: VLPR 2012 Fudan Unviersity, Shanghai, China July 2012.
- The Eighth IEEE Computer Society Workshop on Perceptual Organization in Computer Vision (POCV 2012), CVPR 2012, Providence, RI.
- Annual Southern California Computer Vision Meetup
My research is currently supported by: