My research is in computational vision, in particular how to integrate mechanisms for visual recognition and perceptual organization with 3D scene understanding. We apply these computational models to a variety of problems including development of tools for biological image and shape analysis in neuroscience, animal development and palynology as well as applications to forensic science.
recent research highlights: full list of publications [here]
- B. Kong, J. Supancic, D. Ramanan, C. Fowlkes,
"Cross-Domain Image Matching with Deep Feature Maps",
Technical Report, (March 2018)
- S. Kong, C. Fowlkes, "Recurrent Pixel Embedding for Instance
Grouping", to appear, CVPR (June 2018)
- S. Kong, C. Fowlkes, "Recurrent Scene Parsing with Perspective
Understanding in the Loop", to appear, CVPR (June 2018)
- D. Shin, C. Fowlkes, D. Hoiem, "Pixels, voxels, and views: A study
of shape representations for single view 3D object shape prediction",
to appear, CVPR, (June 2018)
- Z. Wang, X. Liu, L. Chen, L. Wang, Y. Qiao, X. Xie, C. Fowlkes,
"Structured Triplet Learning with POS-tag Guided Attention for Visual Question Answering",
WACV, Lake Tahoe, NV (March 2018)
- M. Lee, C. Fowlkes,
"Spacetime Localization and Mapping",
ICCV, Venice, (October 2017).
- B. Kong, J. Supancic, D. Ramanan, C. Fowlkes,
"Cross-Domain Forensic Shoeprint Matching",
BMVC, London, (Sept 2017).
*best industrial paper honourable mention*
- R. Diaz, C. Fowlkes,
"Cluster-wise Ratio Tests for Fast Camera Localization",
Int. Workshop on Visual Odometry, CVPR, (July 2017).
- S. Wang, C. Fowlkes, "Learning Optimal Parameters for Multi-target
Tracking with Contextual Interactions",
IJCV, 122:484 (2017).
G. Ghiasi, C. Fowlkes, "Laplacian Pyramid Reconstruction and Refinement for Semantic Segmentation",
ECCV, Amsterdam, (Oct. 2016).
R. Diaz, M. Lee, J. Schubert, C. Fowlkes,
"Lifting GIS Maps into Strong Geometric Context",
WACV Lake Placid, NY (March 2016).
J. Yarkony, C. Fowlkes, "Planar Ultrametrics for Image Segmentation",
NIPS, (Dec. 2015).
G. Ghiasi, C. Fowlkes, "Occlusion Coherence: Detecting and Localizing Occluded Faces", Technical Report, (June 2015)
more recent pubs here...
current academic advisees and lab members
- Bailey Kong (PhD)
- Shu Kong (PhD)
- Minhaeng Lee (PhD)
- Phuc Nguyen (PhD, co-advised with Deva Ramanan)
- Daeyun Shin (PhD)
- Zhe Wang (PhD)
- Dongxu Zhao (MS)
- Liyan Chen (BS)
- Shaurya Rathore (BS)
past academic advisees
- Jasmine Bhanushali (MS, 2018) now at Microsoft
- Maharshi Patel (BS, 2017) now at Microsoft
- Golnaz Ghiasi (PhD, 2016) now at Google
- Raúl Díaz (PhD, 2016) now at HP
- Sam Hallman (PhD, 2015) now at Amazon
- Gio Borje (BS, 2015) now at LinkedIn
- Samreen Anjum (MS, 2014) now at Qatar Computing Research Institute
- Shaofei Wang (MS, 2013)
- Jason Lee (BS, 2013) now at OCLARO
- Julian Yarkony (PhD,2012) now at Experian Data Lab
- Matthew Nease (BS, 2012) now at Edmunds
- Shu-Chi Hsu (MS, 2012)
- Ragib Morshed (MS, 2011) now at Adconion
- Nityananda Jayadevaprakash (MS, 2010) now at Apple
- Sangeeta Jha (MS, 2010) now at Intel
- Tony Tran (MS, 2009) now at Uber
- Dennis Park (MS, 2009) now at Vicarious
- Michelle Ngo (MCBS rotation, 2018)
- Katiana Khouri (MCBS rotation, 2017)
- Yoon Jung (BS, 2017)
- Michael Chiang (PhD w/Olivier Cinquin, 2015)
- Joseph Nash (CCBS rotation, 2015)
- Hyeoungho Bae (PhD w/Pai Chu, 2013) now at Microsoft
- Yihang Bo (visiting PhD, 2010-2011) now at Beijing Film Academy
Prize in 2015 for significant impact in computer vision with our paper:
"A Database of Human Segmented Natural Images and its Application to Evaluating Segmentation Algorithms and Measuring Ecological Statistics", D. Martin, C. Fowlkes, D. Tal, J. Malik. ICCV 2001 [pdf]
- Marr Prize in 2009 for our paper:
"Discriminative models for multi-class object layout", C. Desai, D. Ramanan, C. Fowlkes. ICCV 2009 [pdf]
- Award for Teaching Excellence in Undergarduate Education, UCI ICS, 2014
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2013
Big Data Image Processing and Analysis.
Monday, September 18-22, 2017.
Center for Complex Biological Systems,
University of California, Irvine.
cs 117 : project in computer vision [w09,f13,s15,s17]
ics 162 : modeling and world building [f12,s14,f15]
cs 116 : computational photography and vision [w10,w11,w13,w14,w16,w17]
cs 216 : image understanding [f08,f10,f11,f12,s14,w16,s17]
cs 217 : light and geometry in vision [s10,w12,s15]
cs 295 : research topics in vision [s09,w10,w11]
cs 177 : applications of probability in computer science [s08]
My research is currently supported by:
- NSF ( IIS-1618806, IIS-1253538, CNS-1730158 )
- NIH ( NIBIB R25:EB022366, OD OT2:OD023848, OD OT2:OD024899 )
- NIST CSAFE: Center for Statistics and Applications in Forensic Evidence
- Hardware donation from NVIDIA
- National Science Foundation ( DBI-1053036, DBI-1262547 )
- Research Gift from Adobe
- Google Research Award
- UC Labs Research Program
service and meetings organized:
- Area chair for CVPR (2010,2012,2016, 2017), ICCV (2015, 2017), ECCV (2016), ISMB (2016)
- Associate editor for CVIU (2016-), IEEE/ACM TCBB (2015-)
- USA-Sino Summer School in Vision, Learning, Pattern Recognition (VLPR 2012) Fudan Unviersity, Shanghai, China July 2012.
- The Eighth Workshop on Perceptual Organization in Computer Vision (POCV 2012), CVPR, Providence, RI.
- Southern California Computer Vision Meetup (2009-2012)