My research is in computational vision, in particular how to combine bottom-up processing, such as image segmentation with top-down information, such as recognition of familiar shapes. I'm interested in how measuring the predictive power of different visual cues can provide general information-theoretic constraints on human visual processing. I also work on developing tools for biological image analysis in order to measure morphology and spatial patterns of gene expression in developing animals.
L. Mander, M. Li, W. Mio, C. Fowlkes, S. Punyasena, "Classification of grass
pollen through the quantitative analysis of surface ornamentation and texture",
Proc. R. Soc. B. 2013 280 (1770) [pdf]
R. Díaz, S. Hallman, C. Fowlkes, "Detecting Dynamic Objects with Multi-View Background Subtraction",
ICCV, Sydney, Austrailia (December 2013).
NSF award "CAREER: Combinatorial Inference and Learning for Fusing Recognition and Perceptual Grouping"
- X. Zhu, C. Vondrick, D. Ramanan, C. Fowlkes, "Do we need more training data or better models for object detection?", BMVC, Surrey, UK (Sept. 2012).
- J. Yarkony, A. Ihler, C. Fowlkes, "Fast Planar Correlation Clustering
for Image Segmentation'', ECCV, Firenze, Italy (Oct. 2012).
more recent pubs here...
cs 117 : project in computer vision [w09,f13]
ics 162 : modeling and world building [f12]
cs 116 : computational photography and vision [w10,w11,w13]
cs 216 : image understanding [f08,f10,f11,f12]
cs 217 : light and geometry in vision [w12,s10]
cs 295 : research topics in vision [s09,w10,w11]
cs 177 : applications of probability in computer science [s08]
- Shaofei Wang (MS, 2013)
- Julian Yarkony (PhD,2012) now at UC Santa Barbara
- Matthew Nease (BS, 2012) now at Edmunds
- Shu-Chi Hsu (MS, 2012)
- Yihang Bo (visiting PhD, 2010-2011) now at Institute of Automation, CAS
- Ragib Morshed (MS, 2011) now at Adconion
- Sangeeta Jha (MS, 2010) now at Intel
- Tony Tran (MS, 2009) now at Bizo
- USA-Sino Summer School in Vision, Learning, Pattern Recognition: VLPR 2012 Fudan Unviersity, Shanghai, China July 2012.
- The Eighth IEEE Computer Society Workshop on Perceptual Organization in Computer Vision (POCV 2012), CVPR 2012, Providence, RI.
- Annual Southern California Computer Vision Meetup
My research is currently supported by: